Available in both surgeries in Coventry and London.
Polska Przychodnia: Psychiatrist
A psychiatrist is a doctor who specializes in mental health.
What do I do in my psychiatric practice?
I provide diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders and illnesses. I take the patient’s medical history asking about symptoms, personal and family history, stimulants, and somatic diseases. I make a diagnosis and offer treatment. As a doctor, I treat mainly with medications. I am always ready to give an advice on alternative treatment methods or the need for psychotherapy.
What I do not do in my practice:
I do not provide an individual, couple or group psychotherapy which require a regular one-hour appointments every 1-2 weeks for several months. This service is available in our practice as a part of a psychologist's consultation.
I also do not provide diagnosis and psychotherapy for couples. This service is available from our practice as a part of a psychologist's consultation.
Disorders and illnesses that I treat:
- Psychotic disorders (schizophrenia, reactive and exogenous psychoses)
- Neuroses and disorders of the neurotic type (stress, anxiety disorders, panic attacks, obsessions and somatic)
- Affective disorders (bipolar disorder, depressive disorders)
- Eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTDS)
Disorders and diseases I do not treat:
- Alcohol and drug addictions
- ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Learning disabilities
- Personality disorders including borderline syndrome
- Sexual dysfunctions
- Sexual paraphilias
- I don't prescribe stimulants
- I don’t prescribe benzodiazepines and/or hypnotics on a regular basis
- I do not do medico-legal work and I do not work as an expert witness.
Who can I help as a psychiatrist:
Working as an adult psychiatrist I treat people between 18 and 65 years of age.
Who I cannot treat as an adult psychiatrist:
I do not treat children and adolescents; they should be referred to a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist.
I do not treat people with learning disabilities. There is a separate psychiatric subspecialty in the UK and in this case please seek help from a Learning Disability Psychiatrist.
I do not help with alcohol and drug addictions. In the UK there is a separate subspecialty (Addiction Psychiatrist). If you are looking for help, please visit the Addiction Service.
An early diagnosis means a disease or disorder can be cured even if long-term therapy is required. Going to a doctor and starting treatment will certainly improve your well-being and can help to improve your quality of life.